Friday, October 19, 2007

Winterizing for toddlers


Fall is definitely here, despite some oddly warm temperatures, again.

And all the moms and dads who are at home full-time that I know are starting to worry about what it will be like stuck at home in the winter with energetic toddlers.

I, personally, love rainy days that force me to stay inside instead of venturing into the great outdoors – now and then.

Still, a part of me is wondering what the heck we will do with all of our time, especially now that my girls only sleep once a day.

But, fear not, because I have plenty of indoor activities for toddlers on my brain. I checked out a couple books from the library. I’m gathering craft materials, reading blog posts and collecting ideas. And, just like I used to do when I first started this blog, I'll report on how well they went. Or, not.

I’ve cleaned out the storage room next to my office and created a second play and craft room so that I might be able to get a few words typed each day.

Basically, I’m digesting all the information I can to be ready for our great hibernation.

I’m looking forward to the challenge.

But, when spring arrives, I’ll be ready to dive into many, many, many hours outside.

Mamablogga had a great post on this topic a while back. And, on my other blog -- the one none of you know about -- I talk about this topic a lot. (And, if you want access to that "other" blog of mine, send me an email and I'll send you the link.)

How about we share a few more ideas here in the comments section?

5 comments:

Lesley Barr Photography said...

I was just wondering the other day what people with toddlers do in the winter. I live in Las Vegas where the winters are not really winters at all, but more of a cold fall so I won't have an issue.....but we are moving in Canada in the next two years where it is COLD and I've been wondering how winters go with kids. Can't wait to read the comments.le

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

Hm, like lesleymeshly, I'm in a warm climate, and every winter I am so very thankful that I don't have to deal with bundling children up or finding indoor activities. My big suggestion for winter is: move! ;)

InTheFastLane said...

I am so bad at this. I am always impressed with people who do the crafts and things. I am a big fan of model magic. It is like playdo, but not nearly as messy and it dries and hardens for a permanent sculpture.

Shannon said...

I can't wait to hear your ideas. It was rainy and windy today, so we stayed indoors. When they got bored downstairs, we went upstairs. I'm not feeling very creative.

Stacie said...

I'm super uncreative with this stuff too and am looking forward to other people's ideas. James just had a tantrum not 3 minutes ago (short one, thank goodness) because it is too cold and wet to go outside today.

Indoor playscapees. Must find....