Monday, August 20, 2007

The best sounds of all

Dear Jadyn and Liana,

For months, the two of you have been mimicking animal sounds. I think the first was the gorilla, for which you pound your chests and say uuuuh. Lately, your sounds have gotten so good that we are impressed and ask you to say them frequently. Your quacks sound more like the real thing than ever. You moo, ssss, meow and even baa. You think nothing of imitating an elephant, though you've never met one, or buzz like a bee, though you've never felt the sting of one, thankfully.

But, the best sound you've started to make in the last few weeks are actual words. I've talked about this in previous posts, but now I can officially say you have words. You've been saying bye-bye, but now we can add cracker, help, baby, and ball to the mix. Among your first words were actually two word sentences: I do and I get as in aygit the toys out of the closet or you say aydoo when you've quietly taken off all your clothes instead of napping in your crib.

As a Writer Mama, as a liberal arts degree carrying Mama, as a reading fanatic Mama, I can honestly say I am so happy you are finding a love for words.

8 comments:

Maude Lynn said...

And then, they will never shut-up!

Seriously, isn't it magic to watch the words come?

bella said...

I so relate to this. when Leo began using words and then actually stringing them together into sentences, it was a definite turning point in our relationship.
Hearing him tell me stories about his days or share his thoughts and feelings about things is one of my favorite things on this earth.
Enjoy this time of discovery, for them and for you.

Maude Lynn said...

Tag!

Anonymous said...

That's funny. Just recently we watched a video of G on her 2nd birthday. It was amazing to see how much we communicated via so few words. G would "say" something, a word or two, and we would immediately respond, effortlessly, unconciously, with an elaborate explication on the topic.
G: Dat!
M: Yes! That's an elephant. Do you see the elephant? That's an elephant. See the trunk? See the tail?
G: Dat!

Makes me think that with their little grunts and cues, they are really teaching us to talk, so they can hear and grasp the words from us.

We're all one thing. The words they find are yours. Be generous!

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

Those first words are so precious and beautiful...

Eva said...

Oh my goodness, what cuties. The words sound awesome. And it will probably increase exponentially from now on!

InTheFastLane said...

I still love hearing Jack Jack talk (he's 2) - my 8 year old and 12 year old...??? It is amazing how quickly they pick up words. Enjoy.

Candace said...

It is such a joy to hear words coming out isn't it. Sometimes I still don't understand Anna (2) so I have to concentrate on what she is saying lol. Other times it is so clear it is like listening to someone much older. Their language will explode in no time now.