Thursday, August 30, 2007

Strangers we know

For a long time now, I've wanted to write some tales about some of the people Jadyn, Liana and I cross paths with while out walking in our neighborhood.

This is the start of that series. I want to write these before we move, and my memory forgets these fabulous characters.


The Odd Couple

He's tanned, wrinkled, tall and lanky. His green farmer's hat sits high on his 80-something-year-old head.
She's short, chubby and walks with her head to the ground. She wears athletic wear fit for a teenager, though she is about 30 years older than any teens she passes. She's 30 years younger than he is, too.
They hold hands, stop and kiss. Walk a little farther, stop and kiss.
Unlike many others we pass, this couple look like they should live on a farm in the middle of nowhere, swinging on their front porch, not walking block after block in a city filled with pollutions of all sorts.
They walk, they stop and kiss. Always holding hands. Always the same route.
Toothless grins beam up at us as we pass.
"Twins?" she asks.
I nod, asking the girls to wave hello and we keep walking.
They kiss, and walk on.

2 comments:

bella said...

I loved this.

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

Beautiful. I'm fascinated by the people that pass in and out of our lives like this...